Already in June of this year, Apple presented parts of its new operating system iOS 16. At the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2022, the American tech giant simultaneously announced the release date of iOS 16. As expected, CEO Tim Cook and the Group took their time until the autumn. With this, Apple moved to the rhythm of the past years, so far the updates of the operating systems have always appeared in the fall. But what innovations does the new iOS 16 operating system bring with it? Since when is it available for download, and how do I download the system to my iPhone?
When is iOS 16 available?
iOS 16 has been available for download for all users with compatible devices since September 12, 2022. Already at about 19 o’clock Central European time, interested parties could play the update on their device. Unusual: The optimized operating system for the tablet, iPadOS 2022, will be released at a different time to iOS 16. Apple announced the following month, i.e. October 2022. This also applies to the release of macOS Ventura – the new operating system for the Mac.
iOS 16 – what new features does the update bring?
At the start of the WWDC 2022 developer conference, Apple had already given a foretaste of the new iOS 16 operating system. The devices are equipped with some innovations. The most important things at a glance:
- Apple offers new ways to personalize the lock screen with iOS 16. In this way, the background and style of the lock screens can be visually individualized, messages can be stacked or lists and live activities can be tracked more easily. The optics can be adjusted by pressing the lock screen continuously.
- Fokus, a feature from iOS 15, is making technical progress in the course of iOS 16. This not only allows you to choose from which apps and people messages are displayed. The focus can also be connected to the lock screen to adapt the style to it.
- With iOS 16, Apple is making it easier to share photos. The latter can be divided, for example, on the basis of the people who can be seen in the photos. Once the shared library is set up, images can be added directly from the camera app.
- There will also be an automatic partial function. It allows you to share photos as soon as other members of the library are nearby.
- In the future, motifs in images along the contours can be cut, cropped, copied and shared. This function will not only be available within the photo app, but sometimes also in the overview as well as in Safari.
- Thanks to iOS 16, messages can still be edited or even undone up to 15 minutes after sending.
- Using SharePlay, messages can be sent parallel to the streaming of series, movies or music.
- For optimized collaboration, notes, presentations or appointment reminders can be shared in messages, for example.
- Bookmarks and tabs can now be shared directly in Safari, as well as messages can be sent or FaceTime calls can be started. The prerequisite for surfing together is the installation of iOS 16, iPadOS 16 or macOS Ventura.
- iOS 16 takes Apple’s dictation feature to a new level. Improved speech recognition, correct punctuation marks, integrated emojis: intelligent innovations are available to users.
- At the same time as dictation, text can be typed in – without stopping the former.
- Plan the route on your Mac and then transfer it to your iPhone later – this works under iOS 16. Routes can be provided with up to 15 intermediate stations.
- In addition, Apple had already announced that it would integrate tickets for local and long-distance public transport from the wallet app into the card app.
- Apple has also tightened the security of its devices as part of iOS 16. A new login method is available with Passkeys. It is continuously encrypted and should be protected against phishing and data leaks – an advantage over classic two‑factor authentication. In addition, passkeys also work on devices that are not from Apple.
- Protection of minors: Accounts for children can be equipped with a child lock from the first second – for example, age-inappropriate media or screen time can be restricted.
- With the new data protection tool “Safety Check”, Apple has developed a new form of security check under iOS 16. The goal: to counteract stalking, violence or other dangers. In this way, access rights and location shares for other persons who pose a danger can be removed quickly and easily. “Users can also better understand and manage which people and apps they have given access to,” the group writes in a press release.
More details on the features of iOS 16 will follow in the coming days. For example, for the update of Carplay, with which functions of the iPhone can be used directly within the car electronics.
More about Apple and iPhone:
How to install iOS 16 on iPhone?
The download and subsequent installation of iOS 16 can be easily initiated on the iPhone itself. The corresponding item is located under the Settings – General – Software update tabs. As soon as the Software Update item is selected, the iPhone will search for a new software version and display iOS 16 as the new operating system.
If the Automatic updates option is activated on the iPhone, the smartphone downloads the update in the background and notifies the user about the upcoming installation of the new operating system after the download.
Which iPhones support iOS 16?
Also in 2022, Apple will ban some iPhone models from the compatibility list. So iOS 16 will be exclusively for users up to the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus from the year 2017 offered, which currently costs around 180 euros.
This means that users of the iPhone, which is now five years old, remain up to date in terms of software technology and do not necessarily have to buy a new Apple smartphone. iPhones older than the iPhone 8 – such as the iPhone 7 – are no longer supported. Users either have to retrofit hardware, buy a newer model or simply do without iOS 16.
Table: These iPhones will receive iOS 16
|iPhone Model||Release year|
|2.||iPhone 8 Plus||2017|
|6.||iPhone XS Max||2018|
|8.||iPhone 11 Pro||2019|
|9.||iPhone 11 Pro Max||2019|
|10.||iPhone SE (2nd generation)||2020|
|11.||iPhone 12 Mini||2020|
|13.||iPhone 12 Pro||2020|
|14.||iPhone 12 Pro||2020|
|15.||iPhone 13 Mini||2021|
|17.||iPhone 13 Pro||2021|
|18.||iPhone 13 Pro Max||2021|
|19.||iPhone SE (2022)||2022|
|21||iPhone 14 Plus||2022|
|22||iPhone 14 Pro||2022|
|23||iPhone 14 Pro Max||2022|