Just as artificial intelligence (AI) is changing the world for the better, making people’s lives easier, it is also improving education. Even, analysts predict that the incorporation of the artificial intelligence in the education sector in some countries it will grow up to 47% during the period 2017-2022.
Before we see why AI and education make a perfect match, let’s first take a look at what is artificial intelligence, the types that exist and what are their main fields of application.
What is artificial intelligence?
The artificial intelligence it refers to the use of machines or computer systems to complete certain tasks that would normally be done by a human. The idea is to program a computer to be able to learn and repeat actions automatically.
Thus, AI is a complement to human interaction and not a substitute; skills such as creativity, intuition, adaptability and innovation remain indispensable for success.
Types of artificial intelligence
However, the types of artificial intelligence they can be presented in different forms, but in general we can separate them into two groups: weak and strong.
- The weak artificial intelligence it refers to the ability of machines to simulate the processing of information from perception and experience, but focusing on a specific area. It has the potential to automate time-consuming tasks for humans, and analyze data with greater accuracy and depth.
- The strong artificial intelligence he can be compared to Jarvis (Lord Stark’s assistant in Iron Man). Although the comparison has some fiction, that’s what it’s all about: AI that tries to emulate human intelligence completely, the ability to reason, plan, learn, communicate, or make value judgments.
To conclude a comparison, weak AI requires human intervention, while strong AI does not.
The applications of artificial intelligence in the day to day are countless, so let’s review some of the most common.
In the marketing strategies, it’s very normal to find her. Streaming platforms like Netflix or Amazon Prime show us recommendations of series and movies based on preference patterns. The banking it has also adopted AI systems to provide better care and protect us from fraud.
It is also applied in sectors such as agriculturereducing costs and achieving better harvests, or in the healthhelping doctors make better decisions. It also occurs in the home environment, where the interaction of the voice is a fundamental element to perform daily tasks. An example is Aura, Movistar’s virtual assistant, which accompanies the company’s customers by helping them control the TV, make calls or video calls, control the home lights, turn on the radio, discover the news of the day, make recommendations on what to watch or even put subtitles in the contents of Movistar+, among many other things.
Let’s see, then, how the use of artificial intelligence in education.
How can artificial intelligence be applied in education?
AI is the perfect complement to the education sector because it allows you to adapt and personalize education, create unique profiles, automate counseling and evaluation, and provide innovative and intelligent tutoring systems. Let’s look at some examples.
- Duolingo is an app that allows you to learn dozens of languages, whose mission is to make language learning accessible to all people. The role of artificial intelligence in Duolingo starts from the initial tests that are applied to the student, to discover at which level they should start, based on the thousands of behaviors of other students who use the platform, that is, based on both the correct answers of the users in the tests and on future performance. You can find this application within the training catalog of the Living App of Movistar Campus.
- Microsoft Math Solver is an app that helps solve mathematical equations using artificial intelligence. Students can write the problem on the screen or even take a picture of it, after which Microsoft Math Solver examines it based on thousands of equations and solutions to arrive at the result. This app is so complete that it even offers a step-by-step explanation to better understand the solution.
- Brainly is a kind of social network that connects millions of people interested in knowledge. The aim of this app is to bring together students and teachers from all over the world in one place, with the aim of contributing to education, study and skills development. The platform has thousands of moderators, who are supported by machine learning to filter spam and low-quality content, thus contributing to the delivery of a better quality service for students.
- BlaBla is a novel way to learn and teach English, through an application that integrates artificial intelligence. The BlaBla technology it stands out for the use of voice recognition, scene recognition, a personalized recommendation system and a unique profile according to the user’s preferences.
As you can see, artificial intelligence in education helps both educators and students, thus generating a digital symbiosis whose benefits translate into a more personalized, entertaining and optimized experience.