The Half-Life 2 VR mod is currently one of the most incredible experiences for owners of an Oculus Rift and a Razer Hydra. Although version 1.3 was moderately playable on the DK2, its creators have already published the first officially compatible version, and that also supports Episodes 1 and 2. The perfect excuse to revisit Ciudad 17.
This version should fix all the critical bugs that have been collected over the past few weeks, and it is also compatible with Episodes 1 and 2. The installer can be downloaded from here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/HLVR/halflife-vr-1.4.0.exe
Only one installer is necessary, those of you who have suffered from the complicated steps that had to be done for version 1.3.4b on the DK2 now have it much easier. This is the list of changes:
- Episode 1 and Episode 2 are fully playable from start to finish
- Adjusted the calibration positions due to the interference of the DK2 and the controllers
- Larger size and zoom of the crossbow sight, to facilitate the approach to our eye in case jumps occur
- Corrected the stairs
- Corrected the laser sight
- Fixed the erratic tracking of the rocket launcher
- It is now possible to run during the intro, as people thought that this did not work properly. This helps a lot in the scene where we are being chased through the rooftops, since the scrolling speed is now lower
- The ejection of the pistol magazine is not sideways
Before you start: It is necessary to have SteamVR installed [versión beta] and the Source SDK 2013 Singleplayer [también beta] to run the mod. Then you have to restart Steam and the mod should appear in our Library. It is advisable to run it the first time from Steam in normal mode, since you have to activate the VR mode. Once we have played in VR mode, we can launch it from SteamVR if we wish.
Calibration: The calibration had to be modified, because the hydras go crazy being stuck to the DK2. At the moment, we have to hold the hydras close to the chest and make sure that we are looking straight ahead when calibrating it. Apart from that, the operation is the same as in the previous versions.
To remind you of the possibilities of this mod, we are putting back the video we recorded last year with the previous version and the DK1, although now we have more advanced functionalities, such as the possibility of turning our wrist to check the remaining ammunition, and more realistic ways to reload weapons.