The creators of Serious Sam announce that The Second Encounter and Serious Sam 3 will also be coming to virtual reality, in addition to the company’s other title, The Talos Principle.
Virtual reality fans are in luck with Croteam. In addition to the fact that his first title in virtual reality Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope you will receive an update called “Shanti” very soon (with the planet of the same name, new weapons, a personal shield for Sam and a new boss), the Croats confirm not only the arrival of Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter and Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, but also The Talos Principle VR. They also affirm (and it could not be otherwise) that they are still working on the fourth installment of their most emblematic saga, and although they have not pronounced on whether or not there will be virtual reality support in Serious Sam 4, at this point everything indicates that it will be so.
On the other hand, Croteam already has 2 small teams focused on virtual reality that are working on more projects aimed at this medium. But without a doubt one of the most interesting news that they announce is Serious Sam Fusion 2017, a free update for all the games in the saga that will allow multiplayer mode and mod support between different versions of the games. For example, a user of The Second Encounter, another of The Second Encounter HD and another of The Second Encounter VR could play together in the same multiplayer game. The features of this upcoming global update for all its games are:
- All games will be compatible with SteamOS/Linux/OSX.
- Split screen.
- 64-bit executables.
- Support for the Vulkan API (DirectX9 will be removed, see you always and thank you very much for all the bugs).
- Multithreaded render.
- New “lightweight” saving system, the games will be saved much faster, taking up very little space and will be stored in the Steam Cloud, in addition to continuing to work even if the game changes through a patch or a mod is updated.
- Full support for all controllers, including the Steam controller, PS4 gamepads and old DirectInput-compatible joysticks.
- Support multi-monitor.
- Borderless window support.
- Customizable audio output.
- Real 3D audio by own mixer.
- Improved physics engine with better handling of character movement.
- Texture streaming in all games.
- Notably improved mod support with customizable weapons and items and scripting improvements (including better support for network games).
- Many other improvements, optimizations and fixes.
- Engine updates will be simpler and faster to implement in all games.