The numbness or numbness of hands, feet, arms or legs may be due to various causes. The most common are: poor postures and repetitive movements, the presence of a herniated disc, pressure on peripheral nerves, spinal problems, lack of blood supply due to atherosclerosis or inflammation of a vessel. Diabetes, hypothyroidism, carpal tunnel syndrome and the natural aging process can also cause these symptoms, among other factors, according to the medical portal ‘Medline Plus’.
When the blood flow is not running normally, the brain does not get to receive oxygenated blood. As the pressure is relieved, blood flows back to the limb with numbness and the nerves begin to fire information to and from the brain, BBC Future notes. That explains the subsequent tingling or tingling that we feel in the extremities.
With information from the medical portal ‘Better with Health’, we have prepared these 10 tips to prevent or mitigate the discomfort due to numbness:
1. Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for a long time.
2. Walk around the room when you start to feel the tingling.
3. Place your foot on tiptoe as ballerinas do and lower your heels. Perform this pose 10 times to activate blood circulation in the lower limbs.
4. If you are constantly suffering from tingling, do the exercise of standing on your toes every day before going to sleep.
5. Iron deficiency is related to leg tingling. The consumption of eggs, milk, nuts, peas, beans and green leafy vegetables, such as spinach or Swiss chard, are beneficial to absorb a greater amount of iron.
6. Stop sedentary lifestyle and practice physical activity.
7. Do not wear clothes that are too tight or tight-fitting. The same applies to footwear.
8. Perform massages in the area where you start to feel tingling to reduce the discomfort.
9. If your legs or arms become numb while you sleep, you should use cushions to raise them and thus avoid the same posture.
10. Get a small rubber ball to press it as many times as you can to relax the muscles. In the same way, you can do these exercises with bare feet or with stockings by pressing the ball on the floor.
If you suffer from numbness recurrently, without an apparent cause, it is recommended that you consult with your doctor because it could be something of greater care.