Facebook promised that bind Quest 2 to PC via Oculus Link will eventually support the full refresh rate of 90 Hz headset. Thanks to recent updates, Quest 2 and applications for Oculus PC this a reality.
Last week Facebook started to release the updates v23 Quest 2 with lots of improvements for the headset. Part of this update allows Quest 2 to work with a frequency of 90 Hz by default. In parallel the company has also updated the app for Oculus PC to let Oculus Link to work with a frequency of 90 Hz on the headset.
To use Oculus Link at a frequency of 90 Hz in Quest 2, you will need at least version 23 software headset and software for computer (please note that because these updates are only deployed, they may not be available to all users at once).
How to upgrade Quest 2
- In the headset, open the Quest menu by pressing the button on the right of the Oculus controller. Find the section settings (the gear icon).
- To the left under “Settings” select “About” (About) at the bottom of the list.
- View next to the label “software Update” (Software Update) to see whether the new version.
ℹ️ Check the label “Version” (Version) on the same page to see which version you have installed currently.
How to update the software Oculus for PC
- The Oculus application for PC, select “Settings” (Settings) in the left menu.
- At the top of the settings page select “Beta” (Beta).
- Select the check box for “Public Test Channel”
- Go to “Library” (Library), and then click “Updates” (Updates) to see if you can see the list of “software Update Oculus” (Oculus Software Update) (you may need to click the arrow to download to start the update).
ℹ️ This process installs the latest available you beta. To return to the previous version, uncheck the Public Test Channel. To check your current version, go to settings, then General tab (General). Scroll to the bottom to find the list version of the app Oculus (Oculus App Version).
Running version 23 software Quest 2 and Oculus for PC, you will be able to adjust the refresh rate of the Oculus Link between 72 Hz, 80 Hz and 90 Hz, and adjust the rendering resolution. For 80 Hz and 90 Hz requires USB-3 cable and the corresponding port on your PC.
To see all the available options, connect Quest 2 to your computer, then go to the software Oculus for PC. Open the menu “Devices” (Devices) on the left, then select “Quest 2 and Touch“. In the pane that appears to the right, scroll down to find the Settings “graphics” (Graphics Preferences) where you can change the refresh rate and rendering resolution Oculus Link (users of the original Quest can’t change the frame rate, but they can adjust the rendering resolution).
Facebook warns that raising the refresh rate of the Oculus Link to 90 Hz and too high resolution “rendering” may lead to performance degradation depending on power of your PC. If you encounter problems, try lowering the rendering resolution or the refresh rate, until it all becomes smooth.