This time it’s real, Oculus has just published the SDK and the 0.6 runtime that we were commenting on this morning and that was removed yesterday a few minutes later. Whatever the problem was that prevented their departure, they have already fixed it.
The characteristics are detailed in the previous news, translated by our colleague altair28. You already know that those of you who are not going to develop and just want to try demos and games, you will only need the runtime. You can download it all from here.
In addition to the Composer, and to summarize the features that users are going to notice the most, the main thing is that the Direct and Extended mode will work very similarly, both with the option to mirror on the monitor, which will help with OpenGL support, which until now had no mirror option. Another advantage is that performance and judder issues in Extended mode are solved. Finally, it should be noted that Unity demos and games will no longer generate the DirectToRift executable that we have been seeing so far.
Now Oculus has published a list with the known SDK problems, and it seems that some only affect Windows 7. These are all:
- If we switch from Direct to Extended mode while running the Oculus World demo, we may have problems in the render.
- There is judder in the Oculus Room Tiny OpenGL examples under Windows 7.
- If the application uses CreateDXGIFactory, the performance may be impaired, applications will now have to use CreateDXGIFactory1. Support for the old one is considered obsolete and will disappear in future versions.
- In Extended mode under Windows 7, all monitors connected to the computer will go black when the viewfinder is connected and returns to its normal mode of operation when the helmet is disconnected [entendemos que se refiere a desconectar físicamente el Oculus Rift, no a apagarlo con el botón, si alguien que tenga Windows 7 lo puede verificar se lo agredeceremos].
- In Extended mode under Windows 7, if the viewer is placed on top of the monitor, the screens may go black. To fix it, you have to place the viewfinder to the left or right.
- The applications in the PC SDK will hang if the OVR service is not running.