The Croteam team seems to have found a taste for VR and, after the release of The Last Hope, now they surprise us all with a remake of the original Serious Sam for virtual reality.
The news broke just a day ago. Croteam he has announced that tomorrow day 20 December we will have available the first chapter of Serious Sam with a good facelift and completely adapted to virtual reality. Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter, unlike Sam’s first adventure in virtual reality Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, it will not be a game of waves in which we have to remain static at one point while enemies are coming towards us. This time we will have a traditional-style FPS, in which we will be able to move around the mapping while we finish off the hordes of bugs that harass us.
To do this, we will have to choose no less than 3 methods of scrolling, or as they call it, Serious Locomotion:
- Normal teleportation– for those most prone to dizziness, using Sam’s personal teleporter device.
- Serious Warp Locomotion™: by pressing a direction on the trackpad the character is “teleported” a few steps in that direction.
- Scrolling with trackpad/joystick– traditional movement for the most resistant stomachs.
The game will have a single-player mode with a 15-level campaign, 10 different weapons and 5 difficulty levels, and a multiplayer mode with up to 16 simultaneous players in various cooperative or head-to-head modes, including the following modes:
- Classic co-op– play the entire campaign with up to 16 companions, increasing the strength of the enemies according to the number of players and being able to customize tons of options such as friendly fire, infinite ammunition and much more.
- 80’s arcade style co-op: same but with limited lives.
- Beast hunting and team beast hunting– compete with other players or teams hunting beasts to see who gets the best score.
- Survival and team survival– alone or with your team try to survive as long as possible hordes of enemies on a specially designed map.
- Deathmach and deathmach by teams: all against all or team against team, to the death!
- My load– Get points for taking a special item with you while the rest of the players chase you to get it.
- Last man standing or last team standing: you only have one life… try to be the last one left standing!
- Capture the flag– classic capture the flag mode.
- Instant death: one shot and goodbye.
The game has also been completely remastered using the latest engine Serious Engine, and not only will it have all the improvements that The Last Hope and The Talos Principle already have, but it will also have many more improvements derived from the development of Serious Sam 4. In addition, The Last Hope and The First Encounter share the same technology, so any improvement in one of them will also have an impact on the other.
As if this were not enough, the engine supports Vulkan and therefore as soon as the RV is available for Linux, Serious Sam will be too. For greater joy, the guys from Croteam are going to have a little detail with the owners of the original The First Encounter and The Last Hope, in the form of additional discount which will be added to the launch discount. The killing will begin on Steam on early access tomorrow, December 20th, and all holders of a HTC Vive or an Oculus Rift with Oculus Touch.