PHP programming language: that’s why the scripting language is so popular
PHP is, of course, a scripting language. However, in this post, for convenience, it is also designated as in the title.
In the post a little information about what you can do with this programming language.
Why use this technology?
PHP has proven itself over the past few years. It is the de facto standard for developing web applications.
There is hardly any other programming language that is so widespread.
In addition, there are many developers who are familiar with this scripting language.
Usually, web experts also use the following things in this context:
- MySQL/ MongoDB: Different database Solutions
- HTML/ CSS
Also popular are frameworks such as:
Laravel in particular has gained a lot of importance in recent years. Such frameworks simplify the work with PHP and also contain important components such as security measures and the like.
Many shop systems and content management systems also run on it.
Here are some you should know:
WordPress, TYPO3, Magento and Shopware are particularly widespread. The basis of these technologies in each case is PHP.
This alone already shows the suitability for the development of web solutions.
Software development with it
There are also many software companies that have programmed web applications with it, and offer them to their customers.
More famous examples are Facebook and Wikipedia.
However, there are also providers from the German-speaking countries who work with this programming language.
- Blog2Social: This is a software company from Germany that offers a PHP-based WordPress plugin. The company has about 10 employees.
These are just two examples of many.
Advantage: free use possible
Unlike .NET technologies, for example, you can use the full range of PHP technologies for free. There are no licenses. The cost savings can be very high if, for example, a large number of people use the software.
For comparison: if, for example, you were to develop a software with .NET, then in many cases you would have to purchase a monthly license per user.
The free use also applies to a certain extent to the other technologies such as Magento, WordPress, etc. Everywhere you can write extensions and use the software without additional costs.
Which companies use it?
In addition to software companies, the following groups also use it:
- Stock agencies: Internet and advertising agencies use PHP to implement web applications at their customer companies. It is not uncommon for own content management systems to be developed and made available to customers. WordPress and TYPO3 are other standards that are often used.
- Online shop providers: There are a large number of small to medium-sized online shops that offer their goods on the Internet. They have often programmed their shops with PHP in order to be more flexible in development. Almost all applications can be created without restrictions.
- IT Service Providers: This programming language is also used by IT service providers. It can also be used to do a lot of backend programming. For example, for the implementation of interfaces (API’s) and similar.
- SMEs: Small and medium-sized companies often have smaller intranets and websites running, with which they offer their customers different product solutions. Websites with product configurators are still a classic.
- Freelancers: Many freelancers work with the above companies to provide programming services. However, they often also use the technology to write extensions for WordPress and similar solutions.
How efficient is it compared to other solutions?
PHP is said to be not as performant as other programming languages.
However, it also depends on the requirements. In 90 percent of cases, this scripting language is enough.
Only in about 10 percent of applications are other approaches necessary. Here are a few alternatives:
- Java: In the field of banking and insurance, powerful and very secure applications are needed. Here you can work with Java. This can also be used to implement web solutions.
- Python: If you want to implement very large programs in which a lot of data is to be processed online, then Python is an interesting method. Search engines like Google work with it.
- Ruby on Rails: Ruby is also very powerful. Medium-sized applications can also be implemented with it.
- C#.NET: IT departments of large corporations often have programs that focus on C#.NET running. In the web area there are also ASP.NET as a possible option.
Programmers who are familiar with PHP are available worldwide. This is also due to the fact that the hypertext Preprocessor (as it is also called) has already been in use for several decades.
In addition, a developer who works with it does not necessarily have to be on site. He can also sit, for example, in Pakistan or India.
It is not uncommon for teams to consist of global units, some of which are based in Germany and other members in South Asia.
In this way, you can not only benefit from further development capacities, but also from lower cost structures.
Where is the journey going?
Especially the rise of the Laravel framework has allowed the technology to rise again.
It is again considered sexy to work with this programming language.
In terms of performance and security, it can now also keep up with technologies such as Ruby on Rails.
It is therefore worthwhile to become a PHP programmer. Also because it serves as the basis of most shop systems and content management systems.
In addition, you can find jobs globally, be it in the USA, Canada, Switzerland, or even in India.
The technology is very widespread nowadays and it covers about 90 percent of all web application requirements. Only if you really need large and fast applications, you have to rely on solutions such as Java or C#.
The need for the PHP programming language will not decrease in the coming time. On the contrary, most likely, more and more professionals are needed who are familiar with it.
It is also relatively easy to write the first programs with it. This makes it relatively easy to get started. This is a bit different for .NET solutions.
What are your experiences?
An Introduction to PHP
More about this programming language on IT-Treff.de
The author: Sascha Thattil works at YUHIRO and helps entrepreneurs and companies to easily set up programming teams in India. YUHIRO is a German-Indian company that provides software developers to IT companies, agencies and IT departments.
By Author on July 31, 2019 / PHP, Programming