Poker, blackjack, dice games, roulette; ancient games that in one variation or the other have been the pastime of both kings and mobs since time immemorial. From Splendid and powerful tables in the great halls of Ancient Rome to forbidden dice rolls in the Churches of the Middle Ages to the green tables in today’s casinos and behind the screen in ordinary homes – games in various forms are one of the oldest forms of pastime and, among other things, dice games were allegedly played by Julius Caesar, who uttered the famous words ”the dice are thrown”.
Casino games as we know it today, has undergone a huge change through time and is today one of the most lucrative industries in the world. How have we come from DICE thrown from Julius Caesar’s hand to poker tournaments with Million wins and a gigantic online gambling community with millions of players? We’ll take a closer look at that in this article, so hold on as we dive into the fascinating history of casino gaming.
Gambling has been a part of everyday life since before our era, and signs of gambling have been found both in ancient Egypt and in China from around 1500 f.Kr. in ancient Rome, Emperor Augustus, Emperor Nero and Caligula were well – known and ardent supporters of dice games and earlier versions of backgammon, and the gladiators of the Colosseum were played merrily among both the general population and the nobility. The games evolved over time and later well-known people, such as Casanova and Voltaire, were both dedicated players and both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were avid card players.
However, gambling has always been disorganized in the sense that it was most often played in people’s homes or in more or less shady gambling halls, and so it continued until 1638. Here, in Venice, a casino was opened during a festival as an attempt to create an organized venue where people could play in proper conditions. From there it took off and soon there appeared venues in several places in Europe including Germany and Monte Carlo in Monaco.
In the early 1900s, gambling dens began to appear in the United States, especially in the state of Nevada, which, as is known today, is a mecca for players from all over the world. In 1941 the first casino variety was opened, and since then the Strip has expanded rapidly, where you will find the largest and most famous casinos such as the Bellagio, Encore, The Venetian, and the famous MGM Grand. Today, the gambling industry is one of the most lucrative in the USA and in Denmark we do not hold back either. In fact, the gaming industry also thrives at home and this is not least thanks to the opportunity to play online. We play sports, we pull the virtual slot machines, and we play poker online on a grand scale.
At the start of the millennium, the online revolution really took off, and there began to appear sites to play on. After much debate, a number of rules and laws were established in 2012 to ensure the players, and online poker has now become completely legal and the amount of offers has flowed to and has taken the screens at home in the Danish homes. The supply of games is strictly regulated by the state, and in Denmark it is reasonably safe to play online precisely because of the many rules. You can play as you wish and choose games that match the amount of money you want to bet. There are online tournaments and satellite tournaments, as well as opportunities to play from an online table to a physical table in one of the major tournaments around the world. However, there is also the opportunity to just keep it on a cozy level and play a hand every now and then, as you wish. With a large selection of poker, blackjack, backgammon, roulette and slots, there is truly something for everyone-and wallet. You can even play live poker with real dealers and in real time.
Live or online?
Most major cities today have one or more casinos. Both in Aalborg, Aarhus, Copenhagen, Vejle, Esbjerg and Odense, there is ample opportunity to play in a live setting, and there is definitely something to be said for the feeling and mood of a casino. The scents, sounds and visual effects are definitely worth an experience, but what is actually preferable – a physical casino or an online gaming platform?
If you suddenly find yourself on the Strip in Las Vegas or in Monaco’s Monte Carlo, then it would be a wasted experience if you did not spare yourself a trip to one of the iconic casinos that cities have to offer and experienced the special atmosphere at the felt tables, the good service, and the suck in the stomach when just the right hand is laid. But there are certainly also many advantages to playing online.
In fact, there are a number of advantages to playing online rather than in a physical casino, and here you get the first six:
- You can play anywhere and anytime. Most providers offer an app or mobile-friendly website, where you can easily and quickly play your favorite game.
- You decide how much money you want to spend. Many sites have games with very low stakes and if you are just starting out, it may be a good idea to choose a game that does not require you to bet your entire savings to join.
- Another advantage of low stakes is that you can get to know the game and build a solid strategy and knowledge of the rules and tricks without losing too much money. You can try and see what works and where you can improve your game in quiet conditions in your own home.
- There are often a number of bonuses you can get your hands on on the online platforms. Too often, however, there are a number of rules and conditions that you must meet to use the bonus, so remember to read the fine print before you pull the virtual arm. However, you may be lucky that it is actually just a ”free” bonus that many platforms give away and then it’s just to hit.
- On an online gaming platform, there are usually many games to choose from. There are both slots (slot machines) and a number of card games you can embark on. If you miss a bit of the right Casino atmosphere at home in the living room, you can now play live casino at many casinos. It takes place over webcam where you can sit at home and play with live.
- At the Danish casinos you usually have to pay entrance fees and in addition, it is expected that you give tips and pay (dearly) for his drinks. There is a dress code, so you can not just get up in jogging clothes – you can, on the other hand, if you play online. There you can easily sit at home in the living room, on the train, in bed or on the toilet and in just the dressing you prefer at the given time. Casual dress code and no unnecessary expenses. Win win.
The future of online games
There will most likely always be a (large) space for physical casinos and everything they can offer, but the popularity of online casinos is only increasing and there is no reason to believe that it will go down in the near future. They offer something that is greatly appreciated in today’s society; efficiency, excitement, quick redemption, and the promise of success – and these are factors that should not be underestimated so much.
The history of casino gaming – from gambling halls to online gambling
Poker, blackjack, dice games, roulette; ancient games that in one variation or the other have been the pastime of both kings and mobs since time immemorial. From Splendid and powerful tables…
Written d. 15 jan 2019-No comments