For several years it has been speculated that Apple is developing a smart car, to the point that there have already been patents and rumors of some of its features. Well, although the company has not even confirmed its existence yet, there are already people who are willing to buy it.
The analysis firm Strategic Vision carried out its annual New Vehicle Experience Study (NVES), in which it measures the interest of new buyers to acquire certain vehicle brands. Well, it turns out that the Apple Car (unofficial name) was included in the survey for the first time and the result is promising, since 1 out of 4 of the respondents would acquire it.
According to the research, Apple is the third most searched brand, as 26% of buyers would definitely consider buying their vehicle, when it exists. The only manufacturers that outperform the American company are Toyota (38%) and Honda (32%).
The big problem for other manufacturers is that the Apple name seems to be enough to take away customers: in addition to the 26% who would definitely consider the Apple Car, 24% say they love the brand, which in combination puts the apple as the company with the most customer satisfaction. In fact, 50% of Tesla owners would like the elusive Apple Car.
“Of course, what Apple ultimately presents in terms of style, power, product and other key features will ultimately determine the level of interest generated among car buyers,” commented Alexander Edwards, president of Strategic Vision. “However, its brand recognition and reputation provide a formidable platform that automakers should prepare for.”
The problem, of course, is that Apple has not even hinted that it is building a vehicle, so 34% of respondents say they do not know enough about this hypothetical model, which could push them to decide on other brands. Apparently Apple has many strengths and a name that imposes, but if it wants to make an impact on the automotive market, it must start giving clues to its project, sooner rather than later.