This year it was a little later, now the date is imminent: Apple releases the latest version of the iPadOS operating system for some of its iPad models. Users can look forward to many innovations, functions and improvements for their devices. Contrary to the company’s tradition of making the latest version of iOS and iPad OS available at the same time, the new iPhone operating system iOS 16 has been available for download for a few weeks now.
But which iPads are now getting the upgrade and what new features are available under iPadOS 16?
When is iPadOS 16 coming?
iPadOS 16 will be released on Monday, October 24, published. Apple announced this on its own homepage. The download is expected around 19 o’clock German time.
Which devices will get iPadOS 16?
Also this year, a whole series of iPads will receive the new operating system. According to Apple, these include:
Top Jobs of the day
Find the best jobs now and
be notified by e-mail.
- iPad Pro 12.9 (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 11 (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 11 (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11 (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5
- iPad Pro 9.7
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPadOS 16: What’s new?
iPadOS 16 includes many new features for iPad users. Some of them have already been played on the iPhone with iOS 16. Apple’s devices are technically getting closer and closer to each other, so that users can experience a similar use regardless of the device. These are the most important innovations and changes in iPadOS 16:
- iPadOS 16 makes it easy to share photos. Images can be shared under iPadOS 16, for example, based on the people who can be seen in the photos. Once the shared library is set up, images can be added directly from the camera app.
- In addition, the automatic sharing of photos is enabled. The function takes effect as soon as other members of the media library are nearby.
- In the future, motifs in images can be cut out along the contours, cut out, copied and shared. This function will not only be available for photos, but sometimes also in the overview as well as in Safari.
- In the future, messages sent via iMessage can still be edited or undone up to 15 minutes after sending.
- Messages can be sent via SharePlay parallel to the streaming of series, movies or music.
- For optimized collaboration, notes, presentations or appointment reminders can be shared in messages, for example.
- Multitasking should work even more efficiently under iPadOS 16. This allows you to adjust the size of apps so that multiple overlapping apps are displayed in one view.
- Stage Manager allows the user to connect an external display with a resolution of up to 6K. Apps can be displayed on the iPad and the external display, while files can be moved in both directions via drag & drop.
- SharePlay allows users to play games together. Users can now see which of their friends are playing which games and which achievements they have achieved.
- Plan an itinerary on the Mac and then transfer it to the iPad later – this is what iPadOS 16 allows. Routes can be provided with up to 15 intermediate stations.
- In addition, tickets for local and long-distance public transport from the wallet app will be integrated into the card app in the future.
- Apple is improving the security of its devices in the course of iPadOS 16. A new login method is available with Passkeys. It is continuously encrypted and should be protected against phishing and data leaks. In addition, passkeys also work on devices that are not from Apple.
- Protection of minors: Accounts for children can be equipped with a child lock from the first second. This includes, for example, restrictions for non-age-appropriate media or excessive screen time.
- With the new data protection tool “Safety Check”, Apple has developed a new form of security check under iPadOS 16. The goal: to counteract stalking, violence or other dangers. In this way, access rights and location shares for people from whom the user feels threatened or harassed can be removed quickly and easily.