A woman opens the Spotify app on her phone
Spotify customers should be attentive. Criminals are currently trying to crack accounts with phishing emails. Photo: Fabian Sommer / dpa/ dpa-tmn
– Check the sender of the e-mail: According to this, Spotify users receive e-mails with the sender “Spotify invoice”, which shows a problem with a payment. According to the portal, customers will be asked to click on a button that leads to a fake Spotify login page. Those who enter their data there send it directly to the criminals, warn the consumer protection authorities. Access to the Spotify account may also be lost.
How to recognize scam emails by the wording
According to the portal information, the scam can be recognized quite simply by the same wording: “We can not bill you. We hate to deliver bad news, but there is a problem with your preferred payment method. Follow these steps to help us solve this problem. Your invoice.” Also the subject is the same: “Payment is required for your invoice 3947291442”.
In order not to fall for such fake news, the Austrian consumer advocates give a few tips to be able to react quickly. Clear identification signs are:
– Spelling and grammar errors and incorrect capitalization: As can be seen in this example, errors are found in the subject. Real mails are always error-free.
– Check the sender of the e-mail: The sender (in this case [email protected]) one should compare with the provider on the Internet or with old e-mails.
– Check the reason for the letter: It is best to check the information in the account to see if the claim can be true. In addition, according to consumer advocates, Spotify does not ask to send personal data by e-mail.
– Where does the link lead to? To do this, place the mouse cursor on the field and the Internet address can be displayed without clicking on it. If an implausible link appears, consumer advocates advise against clicking on it.
If you have clicked on it despite all caution, you should follow these steps: reset your password, contact Spotify if access to the account is no longer possible and forward the email to Spotify. Then report to the police.